Well my day isn’t going to plan. I had a very manageable to do list of relatively quick jobs but haven’t ticked off much. Now an extra unexpected and more important issue has come up and my day looks very different. So while I get on with that I hope you enjoy the project I created to mark St. David’s Day. It’s a pretty thank you card using the Daffodil Daydream Stamp Set and coordinating Daffodil Dies from Stampin’ Up! There’s also a quick tip for using watercolour pencils too.
I started my project with the single daffodil image from the Daffodil Daydream Stamp Set. Using Tuxedo Black ink I stamped it three times. First I stamped the whole image onto a scrap of Very Vanilla Card. Next I stamped it coming in from the left side on the front of a Very Vanilla Medium Envelope. Then I stamped it coming in from the left on a 4″ x 5-1/4″ piece of Very Vanilla Card. However I wasn’t quite finished… Going back to the scrap piece I stamped just the flower head of the daffodil, twice. With that done I was ready to colour.
Today I opted for watercolour pencils and for what I had planned I needed both sets. From the Watercolor Pencils set I took the Daffodil Delight (obviously), Pumpkin Pie and Old Olive. Then from the Watercolor Pencils Assortment 2 I needed just the Granny Apple Green.
I began by colouring all my images, flower heads and leaves, with Daffodil Delight. Then on the flower heads and trumpets I added Pumpkin Pie. Turning to the leaves I went over the Daffodil Delight with Old Olive first followed the Granny Apple Green.
With all the colour in place I just needed to ‘active’ the pencil pigment. Usually watercolour pencils are activated using water, but my Tuxedo Black ink wasn’t waterproof and would likely run. So instead I used an old trick of mine, a Blender Pen. This allowed me to blend the pencil but with much more precision, and it was easy to avoid the stamped lines. The difference is quite striking but exactly what I wanted to achieve. In the image above I’ve used the Blender Pen just on the flower head on the right-hand image but you get the idea.
Once everything was coloured I was ready to begin cutting out the image for the front of my card. For this I turned to the coordinating Daffodil Dies and my Mini Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine. After die-cutting out the whole flower stamped on the scrap of Very Vanilla Card, I needed to fussy cut the partial images.
Using my Paper Snips I cut around the whole of one flower head. Then from the other image I cut just the trumpet section. I wanted these pieces to give a very subtle 3D effect and layered them onto the die-cut daffodil using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow).
By this point I had more inspiration for the rest of the card and decided on Shaded Spruce for my card base. Using my Paper Trimmer I cut and scored the card, then folded it along the scored line and sharpened the crease with a Bone Folder. Finally using liquid glue I fixed the stamped 4″ x 5-1/4″ layer of Very Vanilla Card on the inside.
Going back to the Daffodil Daydream Stamp Set I chose the long decorative image. At 4″ it wasn’t quite long enough for the card front without a little sleight of hand. So using Tuxedo Black ink and lining it up with the bottom of the card front, I stamped the image about 1″ from the crease. Then I re-inked the stamp and this time lined up the end of the image with the top of the card base. This meant I had an overlap in the centre, which, while not perfect was workable.
Now for my sentiment I chose the simple “thank you” and stamped that onto a 2-7/8″ x 2-7/8″ piece of Very Vanilla Card. Then using Stampin’ Dimensionals I attached my assembled die-cut flower. All I needed was a mat layer.
After some thought I decided that my custom watercolouring needed a custom mat. So I cut a 3-1/4″ x 3-1/4″ piece of Very Vanilla Card and once again reached for the watercolor pencils. I wanted the mat to look the same as the daffodil leaves so I began by colouring a 1/2″ border with the Daffodil Delight pencil. Then over the top of that I added Old Olive, followed by Granny Apple Green. Then I activated the pencil as before using a Blender Pen.
To finish off I mount the sentiment piece onto the mat layer with liquid glue. Then using Stampin’ Dimensionals I added the completed piece to my card hiding the overlap in the stamped decoration. With that my project was complete.
OK so now I have to dash off to deal with my unexpected task. I’ll be back tomorrow though with another new project so I hope you’ll join me then.
BUNDLE BONUS – I bought the Daffodil Daydream Stamp Set and coordinating Daffodil Dies using a single ‘bundle’ item number. This meant I saved 10% off the costs of buying the two items separately. I’ve included both options below so you can explore these if you’re interested.
SAVINGS ARE IN BLOOM – for the month of March you can get the Mini Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine at 20% off. Plus selected compatible stamp set and die bundles will be available at an extra 10% discount (so 20% total). The promotion ends on March 31st, however due to global supply chain issues is while stocks last. For more details see the Savings Are In Bloom page of my online store.