The rain continues to fall and some (but not all) of the wildfires in Nova Scotia are out, or at least under control. The pictures that are being released are heartbreaking with so many homes and businesses damaged or destroyed. Still, people will likely rebuild but it will take quite some time. So while the weather prevents us from doing much in the garden I decided to stay in and craft (obviously). For this week’s simple Sunday project I created a fun birthday card using the Construction Zone Stamp Set.
My project started with a little building site scene using a number of the stamps in the Construction Zone Stamp Set. On a 2-3/4″ x 4″ piece of Basic White Card I first stamped the worker and then the balloons using Tuxedo Black ink. Next, using Pumpkin Pie ink. I stamped four traffic cones around him.
One a separate 4″ x 5-1/4″ piece of Basic White Card I stamped the man and the balloons in the bottom right-hand corner with Tuxedo Black ink. Then I stamped the two images on the front of a Basic White Medium Envelope.
Now I needed to colour in the images and for that I turned to my Stampin’ Blends alcohol markers. For the men’s trousers I used just the light Misty Moonlight. Then for his sleeves I used light Real Red. Next his safety vest and hard hat were coloured with light and dark Daffodil Delight. Finally I used Ivory to colour his hands and face.
That just left the bunches of balloons and I used light and dark Real Red for these. After leaving them to dry for a few minutes I used the Stampin’ Blends Colour Lifter to add a little highlight to the top right of each balloon. Of course the man and the cones seemed to be floating in mid-air, so I solved this by scribbling some horizonal lines beneath them using the Bronze Stampin’ Blends.
With this done I cut a 2-7/8″ x 4-1/8″ piece of Pumpkin Pie Card. Then using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) I mounted the completed scene on top and set it aside.
For my sentiment I went back to the Contruction Zone Stamp Set. Using Tuxedo Black ink I stamped “Birthday zone” onto a 1″ x 1-5/8″ piece of Basic White Card. Then I glued the sentiment onto a 1-1/8″ x 1-3/4″ piece of Basic Black Card.
From there I used my Paper Trimmer to cut a 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ piece of Basic Black Card. Then with the long side at the top I used the scoring blade to score the card at 4-1/4″. After folding the card along the scored line I sharpened the crease with a Bone Folder to create my card base.
On the inside of the card base I used liquid glue to fix the 4″ x 5-1/4″ Basic White stamped piece. Then I added the assembled scene to the front using Stampin’ Dimensionals. This was followed by the sentiment using more Stampin’ Dimensionals.
While I liked how things were coming together I decided it needed an extra touch. So returning to the Construction Zone Stamp Set I found the cement mixer and stamped it onto a scrap of Basic White Card with Tuxedo Black ink. Taking up my Stampin’ Blends again I added a little light Daffodil Delight to the truck’s window and headlight. Then I coloured the rest of the vehicle using light and dark Smoky Slate.
Once the colouring was complete I cut out the image with Paper Snips. Then I put Stampin’ Dimensionals on the back of the truck (stacked two high along the bottom edge and back end). Finally I added the truck to the card front (with the single height Stampin’ Dimensionals overlapping the scene), and my project was done.
I love how this birthday card turned out and while I was working I found other project ideas pooping into my head. This is exactly why I keep a notepook and pen handy on my desk. I wrote down these new ideas as they came to me so now I have a reminder for next time I need a little crafting inspiration.