You know it’s funny the things that come to mind as I’m considering new projects to make for my blog. Take the other night… I was thinking about bookmarks and the kinds of books people read. I’m a fan of medical thrillers especially by Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs, but I do like other genres too. And then it occurred to me, what about having a different bookmark tailored to each genre! So to kick off that idea I designed this pretty bookmark that’s perfect for all those romance novels.
ROMANCE AND FLOWERS
I began by looking for a suitable background pattern in the Hand-Penned 12″ x 12″ Designer Series Paper (DSP) pack. As well as the bright and colourful florals there are some more subtle patterns and I chose one in Blushing Bride with white accents. This strip was already 2″ wide so I just trimmed it down to 5-3/8″ long.
Although I liked the background, I already had more flowers in my design plans and found exactly what I needed on the back of a small scrap with a yellow wavy background. Using Paper Snips I fussy cut two small clusters of flowers and set them aside.
Before going any further I needed the letters from the Playful Alphabet Dies to spell out the word “romance”. So using the Mini Cut & Emboss Machine I cut these from small scraps of Poppy Parade Card.
While working out the spacing of the letters I decided it wouldn’t be romance without a heart, but it needed to be small. So I took out the Give It A Whirl Dies and found a heart that was almost the same height as the letters. To add more interest I cut the heart from a scrap of Basic White Card then coloured it using Poppy Parade ink and a Blending Brush.
It was then that I noticed the die with two tiny arrows. This fitted perfectly on what what left of the Basic White Card scrap so I die cut them too. Using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) I fixed the small arrow on the front of my heart, and the longer arrow on the back.
At last I was ready to put all the little pieces together.
My main aim was to fit the word “romance” onto the background layer while keeping the letters straight. To do this I cut a 5/8″ strip of scrap card and lined it up along one of the long edges of the DSP. Then I could add the letters and heart one by one, using the scrap card as guide.
I started with the R 1/4″ from the left end, then instead of the O I glued the heart, followed by the remaining letters. Next came the two floral pieces slightly overlapping the top of the R and the bottom of the E. Once they were in place I flipped the layer over and trimmed off the excess flowers using the edge of the DSP as a guide.
For the base of the bookmark I cut a 2-1/8″ x 5-1/2″ strip of Poppy Parade Card. Next, using liquid glue I mounted my assembled DSP layer on top. Then I grabbed the Detailed Trio Punch to add an oval hole at the end.
Finally I cut three 6″ pieces of white twine from the Baker’s Twine Essentials Pack. After folding them in half I poked the loops through the hole, then I passed the cut ends through the loops and pulled gently to secure the twine in place. With that my bookmark was complete.
I really love how this project turned out and now I have ideas for other novel genres. I wonder which one I should do next…
Leave a Reply