So yesterday didn’t go according to plan. My two projects were made a couple of weeks ago, they were even photographed and edited early. The blog was written and all I had to do was check it, make a few tweaks and then schedule it to publish at the appropriate time. Simple, except at 3pm yesterday afternoon I realised that it hadn’t published at all! I attempted to rectify that via my phone but apparently that didn’t work either. It was after 7pm AT before I could finally resolve the problem. So today I only had time for a simple project but it was a happy accident that resulted in this birthday card.
I began with the large “happy birthday” sentiment from the Layered With Kindness Stamp Set. I planned to layer it over some leafy Designer Series Paper (DSP) and chose my colour scheme with that in mind. So it was that I stamped the sentiment using Mossy Meadow ink onto Thick Very Vanilla Card. Then I punched it out using the coordinating Label Me Lovely Punch.
At that point I was distracted by the images in the stamp set. So, throwing caution to the wind, I chose the large leafy branch and began to stamp on a layer of Very Vanilla Card.
Still thinking of the DSP I chose Pear Pizzazz ink for the leaves. I stamped four of the images, each one pointing roughly towards a corner. Then I decided to add a branch pointing left and right. For this though I only stamped the top half of the branch using a piece of scrap paper to prevent the stalk end from being stamped.
RICH RAZZLEBERRY FLOWERS
And that’s when it happened… With the branches done I wondered what it would look like with a few flowers scattered around the arrangement. There was an open flower and a bud right there in the stamp set so I thought I’d give it a try.
For the flowers I chose Rich Razzleberry ink. It’s a colour I love but haven’t used recently, certainly not as a key part of a project. I set to work with the open flower first stamping them in the spaces between the leaves. Then I stamped the buds in the remaining spaces. That was it. Forget about the DSP idea, who needs that with this gorgeous floral arrangement.
So now with the background decided I grabbed my scraps of Rich Razzleberry Card. Ironically the first piece I pulled out of the packet was a cut and folded card base. I’d probably prepared it for another project but never used it. So I forgot about a card layer and decided to have a card base in Rich Razzleberry instead.
The assembly of the card was really simple. I used Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) to attach the stamped layer to the card base. Then I added the punched happy birthday sentiment on top using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
On another layer of Very Vanilla Card I stamped the leafy branch in the bottom right corner. Then I stamped the flower and bud a few times before fixing the layer inside the card base with liquid glue.
Finally I stamped the open flower in the centre of the flap on a Very Vanilla Medium Envelope. With that my accidental birthday card project was complete.
Oh my goodness, I love these flowers and leaves. They’re so easy to stamp and the DistInkTive style adds depth and dimension with absolutely no effort from me. I suspect this stamp set has been overlooked a lot but it really is worth a second look.
So far I’ve only made one other project using the Layered With Kindness Stamp Set. You’ll find it in my blog post All you need is a great big lovely punch.