I’m melting. The weather here in my part of Nova Scotia is so humid it’s tough to get motivated to so anything. It’s a good job that the project for today’s blog is a simple Sunday card. In fact I decided to keep it quite minimal with lots of white space. The most complicated part was choosing an image and sentiment. When I found this little ladybird on a leaf I knew it would be perfect. I love ladybirds, they’re colourful and eat all the nasty aphids in my garden. So with that I collected up the rest of my supplies and got to work.
The ladybird was going to be the star of my project but it had to be simple. Using Tuxedo Black ink I stamped the image three times; first on the flap of a Whisper White Medium Envelope. Then onto a 2-1/2″ x 2-1/2″ piece of Whisper White Card. Finally I stamped the image in the centre near the top of a 4 x 5-1/4″ layer of Whisper White Card.
On the small piece I also stamped the “thank you” sentiment from the Field Journal Stamp Set in the bottom right corner. Then I was ready to move on.
I opted to keep the colouring simple too using just two Stampin’ Blends alcohol markers. I started by colouring all the leaves with a dark Olive Olive marker. The shading was already part of the stamped image which made less work for me. Then I coloured the three ladybirds using the dark Poppy Parade Stampin’ Blends marker.
QUICK AND EASY ASSEMBLY
With the colouring done I cut and scored some Thick Whisper White Card using my Paper Trimmer. Then I folded the card along the scored line and sharpened the crease with a Bone Folder to create a card base.
Next using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) I fixed the Whisper White layer on the inside of the card base.
That just left the smaller piece to attach, but first I needed to layer it onto some contrasting card. I loved the pop of red on the image and so cut a 2-5/8″ x 2-5/8″ Poppy Parade Card to highlight that. Then using liquid glue I mounted my ladybird panel onto it, before fixing it to the card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
The card looked lovely but I had one final detail to add to the front of the card. I carefully squeezed some Shimmery Crystal Effects onto the body of the ladybird and set it aside for a couple of hours. Although it looked cloudy at first, once the Crystal Effects was dry it my ladybird had clear glossy wing cases. And with that today’s project was complete.
I’m so pleased with how this project turned out. It’s simple but quite striking, and if you need a stack of thank you cards they wouldn’t take long to make. All you’d need is somewhere to set them all aside while the Crystal Effects dries.