I was chatting with my granddaughter Alyssa the other day about her favourite stamp sets in the current catalogue. Some I kind of expected like Zany Zebras, but one surprised me; To A Wild Rose. It’s a set I’ve had for a while but not really used, so today I was determined to show it some love.
SIMPLE WOOD BACKGROUND
I’ve actually got a very full schedule today so this project needed to be quick, and quick it was.
I began by using my Paper Trimmer to cut and score a piece of Thick Whisper White Card. Then I folded it along the scored line and sharpened the crease with a Bone Folder to create my card base.
For my background layer I decided to use one of the natural wood patterns from the In Good Taste 12″ x 12″ Designer Series Paper (DSP) pack.
First I cut a piece 4″ x 5-1/4″, and using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) mounted it onto a 4-1/8″ x 5-3/8″ layer of Old Olive Card. Then with more liquid glue I fixed the layers to the front of my card base.
My next piece of DSP was cut 3/4″ x 4″ and I glued that along the bottom of a 4″ x 5-1/4″layer of Whisper White Card. Then I fixed the assembled layers inside the card base.
At this point I’d planned to cover the whole flap of a Whisper White Medium Envelope with the DSP but realised too late that I didn’t have enough. So instead I cut a strip 1″ x 6″ and glued it along the bottom edge on the front of the envelope and then trimmed off the excess.
TO A WILD ROSE
With the card base ready it was time to turn my attention to the large image in the To A Wild Rose Stamp Set. For this I decided on Bumblebee ink. Sometimes large solid images can be difficult to stamp cleanly so I took out a Stampin’ Pierce Mat to use as a stamping surface.
On some Whisper White Card I began by stamping the largest of the solid rose images. Then still using Bumblebee ink I stamped the second solid flower image over the top. This adds some more detail and shading. For the outline image I changed to Cinnamon Cider ink and stamped that over the top.
Next came two sets of three leaves stamped with the two solid images and outline in the same way as the rose but using Old Olive ink.
I could have used the coordinating Wild Rose Dies to cut out the flower and leaves but instead opted for my Paper Snips. After cutting them out I glued the leaves to the back of the rose to make positioning of them on the card easier. Then I glued some loops of Linen Thread to the back and fixed the assembled piece to the card front.
For my sentiment I went back to the To A Wild Rose Stamp Set and chose “Blessed”. Using Early Espresso ink I stamped it onto Whisper White Card and then cut around the word with Paper Snips.
To finish I used liquid glue to fix the sentiment over the rose and then added a few Champagne Basic Jewels. Done in no time!
For another project featuring the To A Wild Rose Stamp Set see my earlier blog post Blessed in so many different ways.