After yesterday’s very colourful card I have a different floral project for you today. It’s no secret that I love black and white colour schemes, but sometimes I also add a pop of colour. This 5″ x 7″ notebook purchased in Dollarama already had a bright pink binding, but the rest of the cover did not excite me at all. That is until I took it into my craft studio and set to work.
BLACK AND PINK
When I was buying the notebook I thought the pink was the same as Stampin’ Up!’s Flirty Flamingo. However when I got it home I realised it wasn’t the same at all. So I decided not to try and match the binding, but contrast it with black (and white) instead.
I immediately knew where to look for my alternate cover; the True Love 12″ x 12″ Designer Series Paper (DSP) pack. This pack contains a variety of black and white floral and geometric patterns that are really versatile. I chose this quite busy all-over floral pattern that might be too much on a smaller project. But on the cover of a notebook I thought it would be perfect.
After measuring the notebook cover I cut two 4″ x 7″ pieces of the black and white design. Then using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) I fixed them to the front and back covers, lining them up against the open edges.
Next I cut two 1/4″ x 7″ strips of Basic Black Card and glued them along the edges of the DSP closest to the pink binding. This created a great contrast between the binding and patterned paper.
Finally I trimmed the corners of the DSP with Paper Snips, using the edge of the original cover as a guide.
I could have left the project there, but instead decided to add a sentiment from the Hydrangea Haven Stamp Set.
I chose “The world is better because of you” and mounted the clear photopolymer stamp onto the hinged plate on my Stamparatus. Then I stamped it onto a 1-1/4″ x 3-1/4″ piece of Whisper White Card using Tuxedo Black ink. Next, leaving the stamp mounted on the plate, I cleaned it off using a Simply Shammy. Now if I didn’t move the Whisper White Card I could stamp on the card again in exactly the same place.
This time I inked up the stamp surface with VersaMark ink and stamped onto the original sentiment. Then I removed the card from the Stamparatus and sprinkled the sticky ink with Clear Stampin’ Emboss Powder. After tapping off the excess powder, I removed a few stray specks and then melted the rest using my Heat Tool set on 2 (high). This gave me a black embossed sentiment even though I didn’t have any black embossing powder to hand.
While the embossing was cooling I cut a 1-1/2″ x 3-1/2″ of Basic Black Card. Then using liquid glue I mounted the embossed sentiment onto the card before attaching it to the front of the notebook.
Finally I added a line of three Matte Black Dots beneath the sentiment and my revamped notebook project was complete.
I love how this notebook turned out and it really didn’t take long at all.
BUNDLE BONUS – I bought the Hydrangea Haven Stamp Set in a bundle with the coordinating Hydrangea Dies (not used today). Buying the two items using a single ‘bundle’ item number meant I saved 10% off the cost of buying them separately. I’ve included a link to the bundle below in case you want to explore this option.
Leave a Reply