While I’m dealing with a nasty cold I’m avoiding anything that needs my complete attention. Instead I’m tackling those smaller jobs that aren’t affected by my fuzzy brain. So today I’m reorganising and preparing for the list of products being retired by Stampin’ Up! which will be revealed to Demonstrators on March 23rd. All the Designer Series Paper (DSP) in the 2021/2022 Annual Catalogue is pretty much guaranteed to go, and this simple Sunday project highlights two of the packs we’re likely to lose; In Good Taste and Simply Elegant.
I’ll be honest and say when I got up this morning I had no idea what I was going to make. It was only as I was washing out an empty coffee jar destined for the recycling box that an idea popped into my head. So with the jar washed and dried I sat down and set to work.
My challenge with this particular jar is the bulges above and below the original label. Then of course there’s the screw top section. But I had an idea…
I began by choosing a wood-grain pattern from the In Good Taste 12″ x 12″ DSP pack. I cut a 3″ x 10″ strip, wrapped it around the centre of the jar and secured it in place using Tear & Tape Adhesive.
Next I cut a piece of the same wood-grain paper 3/4″ x 9″, making sure the pattern went in the same direction. Then with Tear & Tape on the back I wrapped this piece of DSP around the neck of the jar.
At this point it actually looked pretty bad, but I wasn’t finished yet. The trick to this decorated pot would be disguising those bulges and for that I needed some card.
I began by cutting a 1/2″ x 9″ strip of Basic Black Card and put Tear & Tape along the back. Then with the pot upside down I attached the card to the neck of the jar, using the surface of the desk to help me keep it level.
Next I cut two more pieces of Basic Black Card, each one 1″ x 10-1/4″. Still using Tear & Tape I fixed one strip around the bottom of the jar so it rested on the desk. Then I attached the other strip around the top bulge using the strip around the neck as a guide to keeping it level.
It was certainly better, but I wanted to add some metallic accents to give it a really luxurious and elegant feel.
So next I pulled out the Brushed Metallic Cardstock and cut three strips from the medium coloured sheet. The first strip was 1/4″ x 9″ and I attached it to the card around the neck of the jar. Then I cut more two strips, each 3/4″ x 10-1/2″, and fixed them to the wider Basic Black bands around the main body of the jar.
While I was happy with how the project was going it needed one final touch, and for that I reached for the Simply Elegant 12″ x 12″ Specialty Designer Series Paper.
In the Simply Elegant pack I found the stunning sheet of copper and silver flowers on a black background. Near to the edge I noticed a largish spray of two flowers with a few leaves and berries and cut it out using my Paper Snips. Then with a little Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) on the back I attached the flowers to the centre of the jar. And that was it!
In next to no time my project was complete and it turned out even better than I’d hoped. Maybe I should wash up more often…
Leave a Reply