When I get stamp sets that have ‘parts’ or shapes I often see alternative uses for them. I’ve turned a flower petal into hair on a baby, and balloons into a bowl of sausages. Today’s transformation using the Under My Umbrella Stamp Set isn’t quite so dramatic, but it’s one I’ve not seen done before.
This project began with the umbrella image and a scrap of the Petal Pink paper from the Perennial Essence 12″ x 12″ Designer Series Paper (DSP) pack.
First I wiped the DSP with an Embossing Buddy to remove any oils and static. Then I stamped the half-closed umbrella image using VersaMark ink. Next I sprinkled the sticky ink with Silver Stampin’ Emboss Power and tapped off the excess. Then once I’d removed a few stray specks I melted the rest with my Heat Tool set on 2 (high).
The umbrella handle was next, once again stamped onto the Petal Pink DSP with Versamark ink. In order to have the curved part of the handle a different colour to the shaft I used some scrap card as a shield as I added the embossing powders. The top part of the handle was covered with Silver Stampin’ Emboss Powder then the excess tapped off. Then I adjusted the shield so I could sprinkle Black Stampin’ Emboss Powder over the handle end. Once I’d removed some stray specks of powder I melted the rest with my Heat Tool as before.
While I was at my embossing station I decided I should emboss my sentiment too. I chose the “No matter the weather we’re friends forever” from the Under My Umbrella Stamp Set and embossed it in black on Very Vanilla Card.
With the embossing done it was time to begin putting my project together.
Using the coordinating Umbrella Builder Punch I started by punching out the umbrella top. Then I punched out the handle. I could have left it at that but I wanted to add some depth to the pieces. I very quickly realised that trying to put bits of Stampin’ Dimensionals under the handle wasn’t a sensible idea.
So instead I took some Petal Pink Card and punched out two handles and two umbrella tops. Then using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (Tombow) I glued the layers of card together and topped them off with the embossed pieces. But something still wasn’t right…
The handle and the umbrella top both had rounded ends which just looked odd when I tried to put them together. So I took drastic measures and cut off the excess with Paper Snips. Now I could line up the two pieces with an (almost) invisible join.
For my stormy sky I went back to the Perennial Essence DSP. This pattern actually has tiny flowers on it but they’re spread out enough to be avoided, or so subtle you really have to search for them.
So using liquid glue I mounted the DSP onto a layer of Basic Black Card, then added the two parts of my umbrella. The sentiment fitted nicely below, popped up on Stampin’ Dimensionals. Then the assembled panel was added to a Thick Very Vanilla Card base with more Stampin’ Dimensionals.
To complete the project I decided to keep things really simple with the boots image from the Under My Umbrella Stamp Set. First I stamped them in the bottom left corner of a layer of Very Vanilla Card using Tuxedo Black ink. Then I added this layer to the inside of the card base with liquid glue.
Once I’d stamped the boots on the front of a Very Vanilla Medium Envelope, I was done.
I’m really happy with how this project turned out, which is an ironic thought given the fate of this umbrella. I hope you like it too.
You know this isn’t the first time I’ve used the Perennial Essence DSP to create stormy skies. Check my blog post The power of the sea for another project idea.
BUNDLE BONUS – I bought the Under The Umbrella Stamp Set and coordinating Umbrella Builder Punch using a single ‘bundle’ item number. This meant I saved 10% off the cost of buying the two items separately. I’ve included both options in my product list so you can in case you wanted to explore this further.