After yesterday’s masculine gift tag sneak peek, today’s project is more feminine. There’s so many good things in the new 2019/2020 Annual Catalogue that I ended up using product from two different suites for this card. Don’t you just love it when products play nicely together.
SLOW WATERCOLOURING STAGE 1
I began by stamping the large and small magnolia images from the Good Morning Magnolia Stamp Set onto some Watercolor Paper using StazOn Jet Black ink. While that was drying I stamped the thanks sentiment onto a smaller piece of Watercolor Paper and set it aside.
Then I chose three colours for the flowers, Mint Macaron, Gray Granite and the new Rococo Rose. I squeezed each closed ink pad to transfer some of the ink from the foam pad to the inside of the lid. Then using my Water Painter I painted the images with a light wash of each colour and set it aside to dry.
While I was waiting for the images to dry I began working on the rest of the card.
First I cut and scored a piece of Thick Very Vanilla Card, folded it along the scored line and sharpened the crease with a Bone Folder. Then using Multipurpose Liquid Glue I attached a piece from the new Perennial Essence 12″ x 12″ Designer Series Paper.
Next, with Tear & Tape Adhesive I attached a length of new Petal Pink 5/8″ Organdy Striped Ribbon to the DSP. Finally I added the sentiment in the bottom left corner using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
The watercoloured pieces still weren’t properly dry so I avoided the temptation to carry on, and went off to create something else while I waited….
SLOW WATERCOLOURING STAGE 2
Once I was happy that the images were completely dry I went back and painted some areas with more colour and using less water. This gave them added depth and dimension. Then I had to set them aside once again to dry completely.
Meanwhile I went off and made dinner….
At last the images were completely dry and ready to die-cut.
The new Magnolia Memory Dies coordinate with the Good Morning Magnolia Stamp Set but are different to the dies we’ve been used to from Stampin’ Up! These new dies are thinner and have a ‘ledge’ that extends into the shape past the cutting edge. This means that I was able to line up this inner edge with the edge of the stamped images. Then when I ran them through my machine the resulting images had a beautifully even ‘white’ edge.
To complete the project I attached the large magnolia flower to the front of the card with Stampin’ Dimensionals. The flower is really big so I angled it to fit the card. Then I tucked the end of the stem under the sentiment and held it in place with a Mini Glue Dot.
FOR SOMEONE SO SPECIAL
Now I needed to work on the inside of the card.
On a layer of Very Vanilla Card I used Jet Black ink to stamp the second part of the sentiment. Then with liquid glue I attached the small magnolia flower to the top, before trimming off the excess with Paper Snips. With that done, I fixed the completed layer inside the card base using more liquid glue.
Finally I used Jet Black ink to stamp the small magnolia flower in the centre of the flap on a Very Vanilla Medium Envelope and I was finished.
I’m so pleased with how this project turned out, and especially that I made myself wait until the images were dry before adding more colour to them. It creates a very different look compared to painting over damp images.
I’m going to have lots of fun with the Good Morning Magnolia Stamp Set and coordinating Magnolia Memories Dies, there’s so many possibilities for this suite. I’ll show you more of these new stamps and dies in a future blog post.
So that’s it from me for today. Tomorrow I’ll have a different stamp set to show you, I do hope you’ll be able to join me.
UPDATE 2020: Sadly the Perennial Essence DSP has now retired and is no longer available from Stampin’ Up!